11.23.2010

Kiddos' Bedroom Wall Art- Girls' Paperie (On Holiday)

I've been doing a lot of "nesting" projects lately (no, I'm not expecting a baby.... just the holidays!). It has been so nice to purge our home of unnecessary items and make sure that everything has a *place.*

So, because I couldn't leave well enough alone, I rearranged Emerson & Atticus' room on a whim the other day. They share a room that is teeny tiny, and has no closet. Fun times! It drives me cuh-razy to walk past their room because it seemed so dark & cluttered.

Before I get to those pics, I want to show you guys something I made for their newly rearranged room:


This is a canvas (I actually found one at the thrift store for $3) covered in old book paper (a mixture of children's etiquette and a Mary Poppins book). I then handcut each letter out of the "On Holiday" line from Girls' Paperie. I was going to use my Silhouette machine, but then I thought that a handcut, uneven, haphazard look would go along with the whimsical feel I was trying to create. I really like this line because it is fairly masculine, but it has a few, tiny touches of pink in it which is the perfect balance for a shared boy's and girl's room.

Each letter is matted on kraft cardstock to give a cohesive touch to the whole thing.

And here are the pics of the room. Before:
After:
(Just keeping it real. I could have made their beds and made it look perfect, but come on. We know it doesn't look like that most of the time!)
I discovered that putting all their stuffed animals in a basket on top of their shelf, rather than just sitting on the top of the shelf, helped them look a lot neater. I also really dig those gigantic Itso canvas bins from Target. They are very sturdy and great for the kiddos to throw all their junk in.

I also removed a small school desk and two toy bins from their room. They have yet to notice that they are even missing. It makes a world of a difference! Because there is no closet in this room (old home), the dresser tucks neatly behind the door and we hung a shelf a while back that doubles as a place for their hanging clothes. And yes, it's bugging me that it's all messy looking. But it's ten thousand times better than it did look. Hooray!



9 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say that your contributions to Tim Holtz's Design Team were very inspiring! Good luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh i love the alpha canvas! i mean, you rock the haphazard like no other! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your project! So colorful and fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE that wall art!!! Also love that you didn't make the kids beds! hehehe ;) Is that a CARS blanket I see on Atticus' bed? Zeke has one he won't sleep without but it's just a little toddler sized one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this canvas! I think the decision to go haphazard was the right one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness i LOVE that canvas! May have to lift that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore the abc collage!! Just came across your blog today and I'm in love! So many fun ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore the abc collage!! Just came across your blog today and I'm in love! So many fun ideas!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you decided to leave me a comment today! Thanks for taking the time to stop by my little corner of the world. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin